1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you leave your computer on all the time?

Discussion in 'Computer Chat' started by Jeb, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jeb

Jeb Member

I never shut down my desktop computer so it's always running. Though most times, I will turn the screen off. And, there is a screensaver. I have not rebooted in over a week. I don't know if this is good for the computer, but it's so much of a hassle to get all my software and tabs back up where I want them. For my laptop, I turn it off at least once a day until it cools off. What about you?

2. Beverly

Beverly Member

You can blow up your graphics card doing that kind of thing especially if your fan stops working. Your computer's interior will over heat and everything will just melt down. You need to shut it down for awhile to keep your computer in good working order and for more than just a few minutes.

3. Shortie861

Shortie861 Member

I used to do this however I started having problems with a PC I was doing it with and I found that it was doing more harm than good so since I got my new PC I now make sure that if I know I am going to be leaving it for long periods of time that I power it down and turn it back on when I next use it.

4. wadebyte

wadebyte Active Member

Leaving a computer on all the time is fine. In fact, most experts say that it puts less stress on the components if you leave it on. What I would recommend is putting it into sleep mode or setting up sleep mode to kick in if you're away for an extended period of time. In sleep mode, it consumes less electricity but starts up where you left off. Here's a link on Microsoft's website that will explain more:

Sleep Mode

5. DanK89

DanK89 Member

I used to keep mine on all night, very rarely turning it off. I turn it off now once in a while, especially if I am going to be away for an extended amount of time. However, I allow the computer to go into sleep at night and during the day.

6. MaxTayler

MaxTayler Member

I leave it on all the time. How often do you use your computer? You don’t want to keep turning it off and on if you use it several times per day.

7. Shock

Shock Pro

I put my computer to sleep every night. I rarely shut it down completely.

8. Smith

Smith Member

I always shut mine down, I've only let it on on a few occasions, when I was either downloading something big or when I fell asleep LOL.
    I keep mine in my bedroom (ya, I know! it's not healthy...) so the noise the fan makes bothers me when I sleep. However, the first thing I do in the morning is turn it on! And I leave it on even if I'm not home all day long.... I only shut it down before I go to sleep.

9. Swera

Swera Member

i shut my computer completely after every time i finished my work and before going to bed.

no sense to run a computer for whole night while i know i am not going to use it at night.
    i prefer to save power, i do not waste it for no use.

10. Livid

Livid Pro

I just sleep my computer, and turn it off if I'm out of the house for a long period of time.

11. Shock

Shock Pro

Yeah when I leave my computer on at night (don't do it a lot), the fan is annoying. The fans on my computer are 10 times as loud as the ones on my brother's.

12. difentle

difentle Active Member

I do the same thing when I'm not using my computer. Shutting a computer down doesn't really save that much more on electricity than sleep mode unless you unplug your power supply from the wall. In sleep mode it only takes a few seconds to boot back into Windows.

13. muamer

muamer Member

When i'm downloading something i leave my computer in sleep mode.

14. Regex

Regex Member

Mine is usually always turned on everyday but turned off at night. I really want to get a second laptop to switch around the workload.

15. Yeah, I don't think that it would be a good idea to do that all the time. If you leave in the internet open, you can still get a virus. I used to leave mine on, but it would restart itself after a couple days, and I was told that it's not good for your desktop or laptop. I would just suggest shutting it off every couple days so that you don't break the desktop. It's nice being able to just turn the screen back on and be able to get online. It's not worth it though, to have to pay a ton of money to fix it. I would say that waiting a couple extra minutes in order to make sure your desktop doesn't break is worth it.

16. TehGeekGrl

TehGeekGrl Well-Known Member

No way! I have no reason to keep it on all the time. I use a laptop mostly anyway.

17. Jeanie Sarrato

Jeanie Sarrato Active Member

I always understood that leaving it on was fine ... that shutting it on and off is more likely to lend itself to problems later on than just leaving it up ... but I am not sure.

18. Chrisk

Chrisk Well-Known Member

Although leaving your PC on may up your energy bill, I still do it. Although I have both of my desktop PC's set up to where they go into 'sleep mode' after a certain amount of time so I can conserve energy and the longevity of my computers. I guess I'm on my computers more often so it's just better to have them on at all times so I can just jump on as soon as I wake up.