1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEO for an affiliate site

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by Beverly, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Beverly

Beverly Member

Is there anything special that I should be doing when it comes to SEO for an affiliate site? In other words, is SEO for an affiliate site same or different than any other site?

2. MaxTayler

MaxTayler Member

I’d say it would be the same. I’ve only done SEO for affiliate sites. I can’t say that I know from experience what the difference is. But, I think it would be fairly similar.

3. faidn

faidn Active Member

Wikipedia definition of SEO - Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine's unpaid results - often referred to as "natural," "organic," or "earned" results.

It doesn't matter if it's an affiliate site or a site about baby monkeys, you want your site viewed by as many targeted people as possible. The whole thought process is to optimize your site with keywords and phrases so search engines can find you and put you in the right place so your audience can find you. As far as is there anything special, SEO is like an art form, the more you learn about it the better you get at it. Google is your best friend when it comes to researching SEO topics.

4. Shock

Shock Pro

I think one think you have to consider is that an affiliate site is different from a news blog or forum. You will have different keywords that you want to shoot for and usually less content.

5. LilyJane

LilyJane Member

when doing KW research for your affiliate site, make sure you look at the "buying keywords" . So for example you are an affiliate for a shoe company. You need to be looking for high search, low comp buying keywords such as "buy shoes 2015" , " Buy cheap high heels" etc, and not just the general keywords like "shoes" , this way the people clicking on your site definitely want to buy shoes, not just look at pretty pictures of shoes! hope this makes sense, it works too, trust me!

6. Gurpreet Saluja

Gurpreet Saluja Active Member

it would be same for both.

7. Lancer

Lancer Active Member

The only difference is that you are cloaking your affiliate links because search engine don't like them too much when they are do follow. Especially when you link to multiple programs on a single page. Then do it as usual.

8. somebody1982

somebody1982 Active Member

The one thing I would say about an affiliate site is make sure you are promoting products that will always be around. You don’t want to build an affiliate website around a product, start doing SEO and have the product suddenly be unavailable to promote. I have never done this but, I have read about guys that made this mistake.

I agree with some of the things other people said above. Having a good amount of content is very important. If you don’t feel like writing it, then outsource it. It is also important to cloak your affiliate links, especially if you have a lot of them.

9. First of all don't make it thin affiliate site google heat that kind of site and penalize them then do the following
    • Use a keyword rich domain name, but avoid looking spammy
    • Add new content to your site on a regular basis
    • Beware of automated link building tools, cheap link building services, and other link building scheme
    • Promote your affiliate site as if it were a big brand

10. Jessica Johansson

Jessica Johansson Well-Known Member

In my point of view both are same..