1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some good computer tricks that are not commonly known

Discussion in 'Computer Troubleshooting' started by neteater, Apr 28, 2015.

1. neteater

neteater Member

1- How to be greeted by your computer every time you start your computer?

Do you want to be greeted like Iron Man (I know you don't have great OS Like Jarvis but your windows will do that for you).
    So first make a file Welcome.vbs , open it with a text editor .
    Now simply write

speaks="Welcome back Sir or anything you want."
    Set speech=CreateObject("sapi.spvoice")
    speech.Speak speaks

Now check if it is working or not so just double click it, it will read your massage .
    Next to make it work at windows startup every time, just put this file to

C:\Users\<<Username>>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

In xp It will be in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

Now on every windows startup it will greet you.

2-Some trick for Gmail users
    To open only unread email , just type is:unread in Gmail search box and it opens all unread emails.
    You can also open starred,read,muted,chat mails by typing is:starred ,is:read , is:muted , is:chat

To open only unread email , just type is:unread in Gmail search box and it opens all unread emails.
    You can also open starred,read,muted,chat mails by typing is:starred ,is:read , is:muted , is:chat .

3-Auto Shutdown
    to time shutdown
    shutdown.exe /s /t [time example 3600 for 60 minutes]

to abort
    shutdown.exe /a

Browser Zoom
    Ctrl + '+', '-' <Zoom in, Zoom Out>

2. JamesP

JamesP Member

That greeting thing is really great i've done it and now i feeel like a boss :cool::cool:

3. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Member

It really works. The greeting thing is really funny. I can make it say whatever i want. :D

4. Jeanie Sarrato

Jeanie Sarrato Active Member

Hey that's a neat trick - thank you! I am going to sneak on my sister's computer and do that to it to scare the daylights out of her, lol!

5. David

David Active Member

Haha I knew all but the greeting message, that's actually pretty dope! I'm going to be so hip with this haha.