1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What got you into programming?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by David, Aug 17, 2016.

1. David

David Active Member

I'm interested in what got everyone into programming, sometimes the stories are quite interesting.

For me it's rather simple.

Back in the day when I was just a little numnut playing Runescape I spent days into that beautifull world playing and completely sucking at every single aspect of it.

When moparscape (cheated runescape) came out, I got absulutely addicted and i've been in that scene for years and years on end.

Eventually I became a moderator on such a server, and was eventually promoted to admin and then co-owner.
    Then when problems started to come from the server, I was absolutely worthless so I decided to open the files of the game (coded in java) and I started messing with (a copy of the server) them until some things clicked.

I slowly learned to do small things and it got me interested in all this code, with time I learned more and more and before I knew it I was rather decent at coding. I've been doing it every since and I absolutely love it.

And the great thing from teaching yourself from scratch is the huge amount of mistakes you make.
    When other developers are stuck on a bug, I usually figure out what it is because i'm (thanks to my newbie self a while back) used to looking for dumb mistakes and simple fixes in places where others wouldn't look.

Eventually I decided to take an official course in it, and that's where i'm at now!