1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best antivirus program?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by angie828, Mar 15, 2015.

1. angie828

angie828 Member

I need a good antivirus program for my laptop. I will never use Norton so please do not recommend this to me. My computer crashed two years ago when I had Norton and it did not catch anything. I want something that is either free or is reasonably priced.

2. t3cho

t3cho Active Member

You won't find any free antivirus which will be able to help you out with those kind of problems. I personally think you should consider buying the full version or find cracked on the internet from Eset nod.

It doesn't require that much RAM but it goes super fast.

3. wadebyte

wadebyte Active Member

The best free antivirus program I have found is Avast. I've been using it for a long time and I haven't had any problems. You have to register the license once a year with an email address, but it's free. I also recommend installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot. They're both free. If you need a great free firewall I recommend Comodo. Just the firewall not the entire suite.

4. DanK89

DanK89 Member

MalwareBytes is pretty good and I would suggest it.

I personally do not run a free antivirus, I don't always trust them because of past experience. Plus, I feel like the computer is too expensive to risk something like a virus, I view antivirus has a way to protect an investment so the cost is worth it.

5. posiimage

posiimage Active Member

AVG is also good. They have a free version too.

6. Shock

Shock Pro

I use AVG Free Version and it's awesome. Runs smooth, easy to use, and keeps my computer safe.

7. itzy

itzy Member

Me too!
    I've been using the free version of AVG antivirus since 2007 (I think... in any case it was years ago when I started using it!), and I have never ever had any problems with it! Of course, I never browse fishy websites, but nevertheless, each time the AVG 'had a feeling', it popped up in my face telling me there's a problem. I totally recommend it, angie!

8. Shock

Shock Pro

I also use MalwareBytes as an anti-malware program.

9. thavented

thavented Active Member

I have been using Avast for at least ten years and I've never had a problem. They have one of the best products on the market so I can understand why they have 20% of the worldwide security vendor market share and protect more than 30 percent of the consumer PCs in the world outside of China.

10. mirso

mirso Member

I think the best Antivirus softare iw NOD 32. I use it for 2 years and it's really good.

11. Ken

Ken Active Member

As I use my computer for work purposes, keeping it in good shape (and my data safe) is very important to me. I have no problem forking out the annual subscription for Kaspersky Internet Security. I just don't buy it online (download) as its usually cheaper to buy it in CD ROM form boxed in shops. Sometimes they even include a freebie like a USB flash drive. Only negative of buying CD ROM is that the initial install takes longer as you have to download updates/virus definitions. Whereas buying and downloading online the application is much more up to date. I've found that Kaspersky also does not use a lot of system resources compared to other anti virus software.

12. sam2324

sam2324 Member

norton, no doubt.

13. Gurpreet Saluja

Gurpreet Saluja Active Member

Microsoft essentials my favorite.

14. Jeanie Sarrato

Jeanie Sarrato Active Member

I use Avast but have used SuperAntiSpyware at times. SAS seems to get stuff the others don't. What bothers me is that no matter which one I've used in the past (Norton, McAfee, Avast, Avg, etc.) when something bad happens I often have to go get some other software that can handle the tricky stuff. Disappointing.

15. DaCollector

DaCollector Active Member

I've used HijackThis when infected and it did the job. Generally, I use Avast though. I feel the same way you do, Jeanie. I'm not impressed with how the software doesn't seem to stop the serious stuff.

16. miractg

miractg Member

I think you can use AVG/Avast Anti virus.At first you can use their free version which is always update.This is personal experience that's why i sheared it.

17. darran22

darran22 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, here are my rankings 5. Avira - PROS: lightweight, simple interface - CONS: too many steps to install, slow UI 4. Kaspersky - PROS: high detection ratios, not very resource intensive - CONS: crashes, settings in many different places 3. Norton - PROS: very user friendly - CONS: too many alerts 2. Avast - PROS: great free anti-virus, very user friendly - CONS: not many 1. AVG! - PROS: very easy to set up, great detection ratios, very protective, clean UI - CONS: resource intensive, slow boot times when installed

18. Joker

Joker Well-Known Member

I'd recommend AVAST.

19. EvilSpirit

EvilSpirit Active Member

Avast Internet Security or AVG.

20. christian

christian Well-Known Member

Avast. Fortunately, the program bundles everything into its 'Smart Scan'. Launch this with one click and you'll soon get a report listing any malware it has uncovered, software patches you're missing, potentially risky browser add-ons, weak or duplicate passwords, and more. The top testing labs give mixed results for Avast Free's antivirus protection, rating it anything from excellent to midrange.